Customers are asked to manage their leaves in and around their home to prevent ponding and flooding, and keep streets and walkways safe.
- In November, SPU will collect up to 10 extra bags of yard waste per collection day for free!
- Rake the leaves in your yard and put them into your yard waste container, compostable lawn and leaf bags (NO PLASTIC) or a reusable container with a lid. Leave extras next to the yard waste container on collection day.
- A second option: place raked leaves on bare soil as mulch in your landscape and garden. This conserves water, controls weeds and fertilizes the soil.
- For more information about using leaves as mulch, call the Garden Hotline (206) 633-0224 or www.gardenhotline.org
Leaves covering the storm drain
- Safely clear storm drain using rake and a shovel or dustpan.
- Wear protective gloves and never use hands to pick up debris.
- Never lift the grate.
- Put excess leaves the from parking strip into the yard waste container or paper lawn & leaf bags and set out for collection.
- Stand on the curb when clearing drains, not in the street. We only ask you to clean curbside storm drains. Please don’t clear drains on major streets or arterials.
- Put grimy street leaves, trash, and other debris into the garbage.
- There are more than 33,000 storm drains in the city, so we really appreciate customers taking care of the drain in front of their home. http://www.seattle.gov/utilities/protecting-our-environment/volunteer/storm-drain-care