In response to the rise in Anti-Asian/American and xenophobic harassment, Hollaback! partnered with Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC to adapt free bystander intervention training as well as offering a de-escalation training to meet this moment.
Unfortunately, anti-Asian and Asian American racism and xenophobia is not a new phenomenon. It has been part of American history for a long time, and it has manifested against different Asian/American and Pacific Islander communities in many ways over the years. As the coronavirus pandemic escalates, there have been more harassment, discrimination, and even violence directed at these communities. The Asian Americans Advancing Justice affiliation has been documenting hate crimes and hate incidents since 2017 at www.StandAgainstHatred.org, which is available in English, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese.
BYSTANDER INTERVENTION TO STOP ANTI-ASIAN/AMERICAN HARASSMENT AND XENOPHOBIA WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION:
The one-hour, interactive training will teach you Hollaback!’s 5D’s of bystander intervention methodology. We’ll start by talking about the types of disrespect that Asian and Asian American folks are facing right now — from microaggressions to violence — using a tool we call the “spectrum of disrespect.” You’ll learn what to look for and the positive impact that bystander intervention has on individuals and communities. We’ll talk through five strategies for intervention: distract, delegate, document, delay, and direct; and how to prioritize your own safety while intervening. We’ll have time at the end for practice, and you’ll leave feeling more confident intervening the next time you see Anti-Asian/American harassment online or in person.
TRAINING DATES AND TIMES:
- Wednesday March 24 2021. 6pm ET/ 5pm CT/ 4pm MT/ 3pm PT/ 1pm HST. Register Here.
- Tuesday April 6th 2021. 2pm ET/ 1pm CT/ 12pm MT/ 11am PT/ 9am HST. Register Here.
- Wednesday April 7th 2021. 3pm ET/ 2pm CT/ 1pm MT/ 12pm PT/ 10am HST. Register Here.
- Thursday April 8th 2021. 1pm ET/ 12pm CT/ 11am MT/ 10am PT/ 8am HST. Register Here.
The following trainings have expanded capacity and are open for registration again:
- Tuesday March 23rd 2021. 4pm EST/ 3pm CT/ 2pm MT/ 1pm PT/ 10am HST. Register Here
- March 29 at 3:00 PM ET/ 2:00 PM CT/ 1:00 PM MT/ 12:00 PM PT/ 10:00 AM HST. Register Here.
- Monday April 5th 2021. 1pm EST/ 12PM CT/ 11am MT/ 10am PT/ 7am HST. Register Here
- Wednesday April 14th 2021. 6:30pm EST/ 5:30pm CT/ 4:30pm MT/ 3:30pm PT/ 12:30 HST. Register Here
- Thursday April 29th 2021. 3pm EST/ 2pm CT/ 1pm MT/ 12pm PT/ 9am HST. Register Here
These trainings are full:
- April 20 at 2:00 PM ET/ 1:00 PM CT/ 12:00 PM MT/ 11:00 AM PT/ 9:00 AM HST. (AT CAPACITY)
You can also sign up for our free Bystander Intervention to address gender-based harassment, here.
BYSTANDER INTERVENTION 2.0: CONFLICT DE-ESCALATION TRAINING WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION:
If you’ve already taken our Bystander Intervention training and you’re looking to go deeper into how to directly intervene and de-escalate conflict: this training is for you. Conflict de-escalation requires patience, a willingness to listen, and an ability to see the humanity in everyone, even those we don’t agree with or who seek to hurt us. Using Hollaback!’s Observe-Breathe-Connect methodology, we’ll learn how to identify potential conflict before it escalates using our “pyramid of escalation” and how to assess whether intervening is the right action for you. We’ll talk about specific biases that are increasing conflict, harassment, and violence during COVID19 — and the role of implicit and explicit bias in conflict. We’ll also learn how to connect with others by validating and de-escalating their feelings — even if we don’t understand them or agree with them. We’ll have time at the end to practice using real-life scenarios.
TRAINING DATES AND TIMES:
- April 2nd, 2021. 1:00 PM ET/ 12:00 PM CT/ 11:00 AM MT/ 10:00 AM PT/ 8:00 AM HST. Register Here
- April 21, 2021. 4:00 PM ET/ 3:00 PM CT/ 2:00 PM MT/ 1:00 PM PT/ 11:00 AM HST. Register Here
HOW TO RESPOND TO HARASSMENT FOR PEOPLE EXPERIENCING ANTI-ASIAN/AMERICAN HARASSMENT TRAINING WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION:
After attending our bystander intervention trainings, many Asian/Americans want to know — how do I take care of myself when I experience harassment? If that’s a question you’re asking — this training is for you.
During this one-hour, highly interactive training you’ll learn Hollaback!’s methodology for responding to harassment: 1) Trust your Instincts, 2) Reclaim Your Space, and 3) Practice Resilience.You’ll learn how your identities can shape your experience of harassment and the impact that harassment has on you and your community as a whole. We’ll talk about what to look for when assessing your safety, and how to determine if responding in the moment is the right action or not. We’ll also take a deep dive into how to build your resilience on an individual, interpersonal, organizational, community, and societal front. You’ll leave with new tools on how to respond to harassment, whether your response is in the moment while that harassment is happening or long-term.